Wednesday, February 6, 2008

pottery barn .

I was not at all shocked by any of the information presented in the “Pottery Barn Style” article. The story presented in the beginning of the article about Hadley MacLean and her new six-foot-six-inch husband was not surprising to me either. I clearly understand that when middle to upper class people are in search for something they believe they are in need of, they are willing to pay the price no matter what it is. However, the thing about this particular story was that they got addicted to Pottery Barn just after buying one bed. They continued to go back to buy more stuff.

Their addiction allowed me to realize that Pottery Barn is doing what they want to do. Pottery Barn is getting customers to not only buy one item one time, but to have them keep coming back and buying more. I truly believe that these people are shamely more materialistic people. I also think that when you buy one thing so expensive from Pottery Barn, it makes you think that you are more part of the high end versus buying some furniture from Walmart. Another example of this would be buying coffee from Starbuck’s, versus just buying some coffee from the gas station. Many would argue that it just does not taste the same, however, I would have to disagree. I think many people go to Starbuck’s just because it is part of the middle to upper class life and people want to feel like they are part of the higher end of life.

But, I am not going to lie, I would love to see this $24 towel, once I get the chance to go to the mall. I would like to see if it is such a good product to be worth $24 or if I would be better off going to get a towel from target that is about $10.

No comments: