Friday, February 22, 2008

is school really necessary ?

After reading Gatto’s “Against School” article, I have thought more about the fact that you do not actually HAVE to go to school to become some famous smart person. Gatto presents examples of famous historical figures like Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison, and George Washington. These historical figures did not complete “full education” or go to public schools or attended college, they received a smaller type of education. School is not as necessaryas the society seems to make it be.

I strongly agree with the fact that many children suffer from boredom at school, and of course it does not help if the teachers are bored at the same time. I believe many teachers are not doing a job that they do not want to do, however, they are forced to teach certain lessons that they do not even find interest in themselves. Gatto mentioned that another reason the teachers are bored are because the students are bored and the students only really care about their grades. Students only care about their grades because they are forced by the American society to believe that they must have these high GPAs and test scores to be successful. I think many students do not learn the information taught in schools because they want to, they are forced into learning material and studying it for tests. I am not talking about all information learned, just the majority of it. I can personally say that there is more information that I study for a specific test than there is information that I am taught and remembered for a long time.

No comments: