Wednesday, February 13, 2008

day one of presentations .

Since I was not here for the first day of presentations, below I have blogged about my response to the project in general and then other stuff.

For the project, Brittney and I went to Castleton Mall. We spent about two and a half hours seeking for rhetorical examples of advertising. We went in the afternoon and being a Monday, the mall was not so crowded, and therefore it was easier for me to take pictures of the examples that I saw. We walked around pretty much the whole mall and passed just about every store and looked at the different set ups and advertising signs outside each store. Each store has their own set up of course, but some stood out more than others as far as how they advertised to let alone get customers attention, but for them to buy stuff also. The stores that I thought had their more standing out way of advertising were; Helzberg Diamonds, The Disney Store, Hollister, Borders, and Victoria Secret. I also looked online and through clip art for different examples of rhetoric. I spent a lot of time online for this specific picture that I have once seen in a book but cannot remember the title of the exact book. The image was of two men standing side by side, one dressed in a nice suit with a professional significant look. The other man looked junky and vicious. You would think that the guy with the nice suit on was the good guy and the other guy was some criminal type guy that you should watch out for. However, there is an image on the next page that shows that the professional looking guy had a gun behind his back, while the other guy had a flower behind his back. I think the images help you realize that just because a person has this certain look and appears to dress like the average businessman or the average junky should not classify whom they actual are and what they actual do. I think it is pretty sad that people get classified just by how they are on the outside. This is something that happens everyday and we (as the majority of people in general) justify the type of person someone is just by his or her appearance.

No comments: