Thursday, March 6, 2008

wright && his uncle tom .

Wright and his Uncle Tom are not getting together at all this chapter. Uncle Tom now lives with Wright and his family. There was one particular situation, which Uncle Tom asks Wright the time and Wright’s response made Uncle Tom mad. Wright’s answer to Uncle Tom’s question included that his watch could be a few minutes fast or slow, but it was still not far from the right time. Uncle Tom decides to beat Wright for this, but Wright is not having it. Wright decides to stand up for himself by pulling out a razor blade and telling Uncle Tom that he would rather cut him that to be beaten. I think it takes a lot of “fed-up-ness” and courage to threaten and elder, let alone to threaten a relative. At the same time it is hard to relate to Richard’s life at this time.

I honestly do not think that Uncle Tom is helping the situation that Wright is in at this time. Wright had a paralyzed mother and is trying to understand the world outside his home. It seems to me that Uncle Tom is not adding to this Richard’s struggles. I know personally that if I was having a hard time with something and someone else other than one of my household family members moves in and is trying to be a control factor in my life, I would have a problem with that. However, this does not give Richard the right to pull out a razor on his uncle.

No comments: