Thursday, March 13, 2008

wright , the author , speaks .

The passage that I have chose is on page 313 in the edition that I have. Wright, the author, says this: “To solve this tangle of balked emotion, I loaded the empty part of the ship of my personality with fantasies of ambition to keep it from toppling over into the sea of senselessness” (313). I think I honestly read that specific part of this passage over and over about ten times. The connection that Wright makes with this ship is powerful. I believe that he is saying that he has this hesitant idea. Wright is undergoing a thought that he does not really want to think. The thought is that he is getting rid of the dreams and what he thought could eventually happen in his future, what he could achieve one day. The sea of senselessness seems to just be all the ideas that he ever had that he knows for sure that would never happen or come true. The object that he used, the ship, makes me (and maybe other readers) think that he has so much thought and dreams that he is getting rid of by putting them all into this empty ship, which is a large object.

In this passage, he also mentions what dreams he had, like any other American. He also states how he had reached the certain position that he dreamed of putting together a secret groups of blacks that could fight against whites and if the blacks did not agree to be apart of it, then they would be fought against. I think that this is sad that Wright has even got so hostile (not saying that he should not) towards the whites that he is willing to even fight his own kind for not willing to be apart of something that he dreams of being right.

No comments: