Tuesday, October 30, 2007

t . jefferson && the image

If you ask me, Thomas Jefferson is some different type of guy. By what I`ve known about Thomas Jefferson before reading this passage, I presumed that he was a “good” guy and that he thought that the citizens were actually important and should be equal. But from a discussion in class, I know that he actually meant “all MEN are created equal” in the Declaration of Independence, not really worrying much about women. He was definitely a slave owner in the west, but I didn`t know that he has SEX with his slaves, which I was informed by Brittney (which is really gross, by the way, because you are having sex with someone who is working for you && who you don`t even really have feelings for, but you`re just doing it because they are there && you can make them have sex with you since they are working for YOU).

After looking at the image on page 85, I can suspect that the people surrounding the stone are Jefferson`s descendants. I find the picture to be pretty unrealistic because I don`t think that the black people in the image wouldn’t want to go visit his stone do to the way they were treated. It`s kind of like why go visit someone when you know that you were treated badly by them? The passage also talked about how like Jefferson basically didn`t like the slaves, he thought they smelled bad && their skin was dark. But when referring back to what Brittney told me, it makes me wonder why would you even have sex with them when you didn`t really like them. Not many would have sex or want to around someone when you know that they “stink”.

No comments: