Wednesday, January 30, 2008

kilbourne's argument

After reading Kilbourne’s passage titled “Two Ways a Woman Can Get Hurt”, I think more deeply into commercials. A lot of the images Kilbourne uses to support her argument really offended me and made me mad. I feel this way because many of these commercials images were really degrading the female gender and being a female myself, I did not like any of them. Although I have always tried to understand the exact meaning and place close attention to commercials, Kilbourne’s passage makes me wonder more about the intended purpose of the commercial. I have came to the conclusion that many commercials now-a-days usually do have a lot of sexual intent in them and sometimes the advertising part has nothing to do with the item being sold. I clearly understand Kilbourne’s purpose for her writing and I agree with her point of how women can get hurt by the advertisements and how ads can sometimes "unpurposely" offend gender and sometimes race. I agree with Kilbourne for meaning reasons.

I agree that with many commercials women are being judged and it is putting pressure and influence on teenage girls to become this character in the advertisements that men are amused to. I think it is the same thing as watching a model show. Many teens are sometimes women of other ages put so much pressure on themselves to be this idealistic model and be the one that men are most appealing to. Also, we see more of women being treated aggressively in commercials, however, there are also men being treated aggressively and sort o on the watch out for the aggressive women.

In the end, I think that sometimes it depends on how you interpret the advertisements. I truly think that commercial companies are not intending to degrade another race or gender, but it seems like this is what the world is more into and it is sadly a way to catch the eye of the people. For example, since many people think that sex is the cool thing to do and that when you are having sex you are more mature, commercial companies would rather air something possibly sexual just to catch the attention of the people. I honestly think that it is more of the advertising companies adjusting to what catches the people’s eye than people adjusting to the influence of commercials.

No comments: