Wednesday, January 30, 2008

blog about today`s class discussion

Today’s class period yet again involved another interesting discussion. The topic of today’s class discussion was about last night’s reading titled “Two Ways a Woman can Get Hurt” by Jean Kilbourne. I understood the various points of my classmates’ decisions on whether or not they agree or disagree with Kilbourne’s argument. I could also tell that many of my classmates’ were getting frustrated with not being able to get their points out as clearly as they were meaning and also with the fact that there was always someone strongly disagreeing with someone else. Of course debates do involve opposing opinions (duh, that is the point), but I could sort of tell that many of my classmates’ wanted to say certain things to my other classmates’ that would possibly not have been appropriate for the class, based on their opinions.

I truly did understand some of the boys’ points they were making about Kilbourne. I understood that Kilbourne did put so much emphasis on the boys being against girls in the commercial ads, however, it is not necessary to go against Kilbourne’s argument because of this. I do not necessarily think that Kilbourne was intending to go about the male gender, however, she was just using the examples that she usually views on her television. I believe we see way more advertisements of the women being the target versus the men being the target.

I am actually glad that we read this particular passage and had a debate about it in class today. It gives me a better understanding of the type of people in our class and more of their way of thinking. I was not what so ever mad at anyone for expressing their arguments and respective opinions in class today even if I was one of those strong individuals opposing their explanations.

No comments: