Saturday, December 8, 2007

inquiry contract progress -- #6

Okay, first I want to say that I have about the best sister ever. You would think being married, having two children, and owning a business would keep one busy, but obviously not. I just checked my email and my sister has yet again, sent me another article about Childhood Obesity. She is freaking amazing!

This article is titled "Contributing Factors". It talks about how children are usually overweight as a result of an imbalance between the calories they consume from food and drinks and the versus the calories a child uses to support normal growth and development, metabolism, and physical activity. Children being obese is a result of genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors. The Genetic Factors sections states, "Studies indicate that certain genetic characteristics may increase an individual's susceptibility to overweight". The genetic factor, however, may not be in so much affect if there is not the help of high calorie foods and minimal physical activity. The Behavioral Factors were split into three different parts; energy intake, physical activity, and sedentary behavior. Then lastly, the Environmental Factors; within the home, within child care, within schools, and within the community.

I believe that this article is very significant to my certain topic, being that if gave me information on why children are usually obese, rather it is from genetics, his/her behavior, or his/her environment. Even though I knew this information, this gives me some actually bulleted facts that I can cite in my writings.

No comments: