Thursday, November 15, 2007

yoshino && the mainstream

When Yoshino says “Civil rights must rise into a new, more inclusive register. That ascent makes use of the recognition that the mainstream is a myth” (Yoshino, 605). The normal people belong to this mainstream but who is to say they are “normal”. He is saying that the mainstream is a myth because there is really no normal. Who can define what normal is when it comes to people? I do not think that there is an actually definition to a “normal” person. When people say “that person is not normal”, I think they use the word normal in a sense that that person is not like the popular. That person does not do what most people do.

His reasoning is somewhat persuasive, but in a way it is not. Yoshino uses the example, “With respect to any particular identity, the word ‘mainstream’ makes sense, as in the statement that straights are more mainstream than gays”. I totally agree with the example that he used to define with word mainstream. I just think the mainstream is the popular. There are more straight guys than there are gay guys. I believe when it comes to agreeing with Yoshino by his reasoning, it depends on who you are. I have already thought about this particular subject before, therefore, it was easy for me to agree with Yoshino and his thoughts about the mainstream. I`ve already thought this same thing before.

No comments: