Monday, November 5, 2007

incidents in the life of a slave girl -- #1

I think that it is important that the book is truth, not fiction because it allows the readers to actually get a sense of what actually went on. It allows the reader to actually get a better understanding of what went on since they are reading it from the perspective of someone who actually has experience during slavery. As I read it, it was like reading someone`s life, like what went on during Jacob`s life. I liked how it was from the actual perspective of a slave, rather than it being something from the history books. This book also makes me believe in more of what happen during slavery because I know that this is a true story and a real person that is talking about the slavery and a person who was actually there to witness the time period.

My opinion about the editor cleaning up the writing is that I`m glad she didn`t. If she were to clean it up, I really wouldn`t want to read it because it would be just like the other history books about slavery. What I mean by just like any other history book is that it would be the boring, “making sure it`s appropriate for school”, usual type of reading. I`m also glad it wasn`t cleaned up because I don`t think the author wanted for it to be cleaned up. She wanted to let the readers know the facts of slavery and that what she was writing in the story was actually true and not written by someone who just studies history. After reading from an actual individual who experience the slavery, I find myself showing more sorrow. When reading a history book with research, I don`t find myself showing as much emotion towards slavery.

No comments: