Sunday, September 9, 2007

"a case for torture"

"There are situations in which torture is not merely permissible but morally mandatory" (Levin, 1). I totally agree with Michael Levin's statement. There are situations that you can resist but to take of not only yourself but of your loved ones also. The very situation that stood out more than others is the one about the terrorist group kidnapping a newborn baby from a hospital. Levin "asked four mothers if they would approve of tortuting kidnappers if that were necessary to get their own newborns back" (Levin, 1). You kind of get the "heck yeah" reaction. This makes me think of the love of my little brother, who is nine, or even my two neices, one who is one years old and the other who isn't even born. I would kill for them. As weird as it may seem to some one else, it seems like I had this connection with my neice who isn't born. Me and her mother, my sister, being so close makes me feel like this; "I may not know exactly what she looks like but I still see her everyday".
I would argue with Levin, rather than against.

No comments: