Friday, November 28, 2008

Poetry Response: "I Thank You God" by E.E. Cummings

When ever I do a poetry response, it is pretty much a habit to scroll through all the pages and look at the titles of each of the poems. When I come across one which I think is interesting, I read it. However, if it one that I cannot truly connect to or blog about, I go onto another one. The title of the one I ended up choosing for my poetry response this week is "I Thank You God."

I noticed that "God" in the title of the poem was not capitalized. I found this rather interesting because whenever I write "God" I make it capitalized. I chose this poem because I personally thank God too. I continue to thank God on a regular basis rather it is my night time prayers or it is just when I am sitting somewhere thinking. Cummings states in her poem, "i thank YOU God for most this amazing day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes." It is easy for me to understand where Cummings is coming from. I thank God for everything being able to wake up each day and the nature that we have around us. Even though I am not truly a green nature type person, I do believe that the nature we have has been created by God and even if we as people do not think about it everyday, nature is something that we should be thankful for.

No comments: