Monday, September 22, 2008

still memory [PR]

All sorts of things came to mind when I read the title of this poem. It made me think of memories that I have written about in my past english classes. This poem made me realize a few things about this ten-year-old’s life. I thought of her family has a family that is not connected with one another at all. It is sort of like everyone has their own thing going on. Mother is in the kitchen going through the silver and cooking, Father just got off of work and is in the doorway, and her twelve-year-old sister is stepping across the bathroom fast to avoid the coldness of them and the writer herself is reaching for this pen to write again. Everyone in the family is obviously in a different part of the cold house.

The memory that I have from reading this poem is when the heat at our house broke. It was winter time and the heat at my house was broken for no longer than 2-3 days. I felt like I was going to freeze to death because it was so cold and I told my mom that I could not imagine living without heat for a period of time or never having heat at all. In this poem, the sister was walking on the tiles fast because they had no heat. This was not just temporary, they did not have heat period.

At the end of the poem, Karr writes, “My ten-year-old hand reaches for a pen to record it all as would become long habit”. It made me think that the girl wants to record her life and how it is to live with this seeming unconnected family. She said that it would become a long habit, meaning that she will be writing about the household for longer than just that one day.

No comments: