Monday, April 6, 2009

Act II; #4 - Cordelia

I have chosen the alternative choice of writing a letter from Cordelia to her father, King Lear.

Dear Father,

I am aware of the happenings in your kingdom and what frustrations you must be going through during this time. I wanted you to know that I am merely concerned of what your mental stance is while you are handling this whole ordeal. It is not a part of my inner being to recall my words and warnings of my two sisters’ flattery, however, what is occurring is not far from what I suspected. As a part of my obedience, I will remain in France and live with my beloved Duke of France. I will not intervene with your orders nor will I become a part of what you do not want me to. I am hoping Goneril and Regan do not continue to be the monstrous characters they are and make changes in their future plans to disobey your kingdom even more. Nonetheless, it will not be of my surprising to witness what other negative and selfish roles they have in store. My love for you remains the same as it did before and every now and then I recall my honesty in describing my love for you and how you basically did not label me as a trustworthy and loving daughter. I am not writing this letter to banish your past choices in regards to me, your daughter, or to say, “I told you so, I told you so”. My point of this writing is to inform you of my sympathy for you as you are learning what type of people your two oldest daughters are. You do not have to reply or make any effort to contact me after reading this letter. I will leave that choice up to you, but hopefully you take the time to let me know if there is anything that I could do for you, my dear father.

I hope all gets better.

Love,

Cordelia

No comments: