Friday, October 31, 2008

Poetry Response: "Lilacs in September"

The poem that I read for my poetry response is titled "Lilacs in September" written by Katha Pollitt. I personally think that this poem does not make sense. I did not like it, mainly because I do not think that its point was not a big deal.

The image I got of this poem was a hurricane coming into an empty area and tearing up the lilacs and then at the end there is the question for the human life. The question is "What will unleash itself in you when your storm comes?" I think the point is that during this hurricane, the colored blossoms, the lilacs, were being lifted high from the ground as they were being broken up by the hurricane. I get the impression that there is a connection between the (talking) lilacs and actual human beings. The lilacs are the ones asking what would you (the human) do if a hurricane or some kind of tragic situation came into your life. Basically, how would you deal with it if you were the lilacs? What are you going to do when the storm comes? How would you react?

Overcoming many obstacles in life are like outdoing and getting through the hurricanes for weather or trying to be like the lilacs (in this particular poem) and warning others that they should have a plan for handling the storm when it comes their way.

No comments: