Wednesday, May 20, 2009

it's my light . but who really cares?

My light? MY light. Hmmm, I think this is broad. I am feeling like I cannot chose which of the various aspects I want to talk about that makes up my light. When I think of my light I generally think of who I am, my personal opinions and my goals in life. I am usually put in situations that I feel like I have to stand up for who I am and what I believe in and there are so many things I can talk about. But I am going to settle talking about a particular event that happened a few weeks ago.

During my study hall, I usually sit down the hallway near the chemistry room. I do this so I more of a “controlled” area and so I can concentrate easier on my work. However, just a few weeks ago, I decided to sit in the unmonitored study hall area near the chairs and tables. I sat on the floor just because it felt comfortable, allowing me to not here conversations that well since I was lower than the people sitting at a nearby table. I found it very odd that the day I chose to sit where all the other students sit, I actually did overhear some negative rather heart breaking comments from a student at our school. The student said that he/she was in this play called Rent because it was about blacks and gays. This hyped up my interest of the play because it was supporting blacks and gays. But in contrast of what I was thinking, the student went on and said that he/she was only in the play because he/she wanted to piss of his/her parents (since the parents do not like blacks or gays, according to the student). He/she added, “Well, neither do I”.

I sat there, a part of me was just trying to stay to myself and tell myself that I was just being nosy. But a part another part of me wanted to jump all over this kid, smack him/her in the face, and give them a little wake up call. Coincidentally while I sat pondering, one of the students at the table IMed me and reassured me that what I really thought I heard was actually said. I could tell that this student was bothered by it as well but did not know how to handle it. I conversed a little bit with my friend Brittney and she was offended just like I was. I chose to go say something to this kid. I let him/her know the reality of life. I told him/her that I was just going to have a few words for him/her, but at some other school or in another environment, he/she would catch a reaction that was physical (basically getting his/her ass beat). My first question was “Why don’t you like blacks or gays?” and the student paused. He/She then expressed himself/herself with sincere apology and said it was a joke. I said more words, expressing my own personal hurt, while the student kept touching his/her heart and apologizing.

I feel like I shared my light. I let this kid know the reality of things and stood up for myself as well as for people I know. But what follows me is was this student really sorry or just saying that as a cover-up? I will probably never know, but I am proud for standing up for who I am and sharing my light.

1 comment:

Ms. Pfan said...

Way to go! I wish more people would stand up like this. That must have been very hard for you, but your reaction is something you should be proud of.